Marketing Research Community
Topic: The New Mainstream of America
Facilitators: Brad Weiss-Holmes, Sr. VP, West Coast. and Estrella Ho-Looney, Sr. Dir. Multicultural & Team Development, Illumination Research
- Minorities’ are the majority today and are expected to keep on growing. Focus is on Hispanic, Asian and LGBT.
- Today over 40% of US population is non-white; ‘minorities’ are already the majority in California and Texas and demographers predict that the same will be true of the country as a whole before 2045.
- ‘Minorities’ are already driving population and economic growth and they are keeping/ building many of their own traditions and behaviors. Companies who know how to target them will gain the relevance of these consumers and future generations.
- This is most obvious with Millennials. For other targets you might be facing more isolated groups as Unacculturated Hispanics or Asians. They have no need to adapt to ‘mainstream’ so talk English.
- Will showcase BIC examples of companies in this area, and will touch on a few ways to approach research design with a focus on non-traditional methods.
- Insight leaders need to make sure these ‘minorities’ are included in research designs and that their perspective is brought to life in the insights that are being socialized across the organization.
- Companies need to have multicultural images in their advertising and communications.
Brad Weiss-Holmes Senior Vice President West Coast, Illumination Research
Brad leads Illumination’s West Coast Office and has over 15 years experience as an entrepreneur and in Insights at Procter & Gamble within the Consumer and Market Knowledge organization, MarketVision and Illumination Research. Brad’s roles at P&G spanned across consumer, shopper and non-traditional research. His Illumination role includes client relationship responsibility, research and ideation design consultancy, facilitating, moderation, and leading the West Coast office. He specializes in non-traditional approaches. He is a graduate from University of Miami in Oxford Ohio.
Estrella Ho-Looney, Senior Director Multicultural & Team Development, Illumination Research
Agile market research strategist with over 17 years experience in Insights at Procter & Gamble, Kellogg’s and Illumination Research. Originally from Panama, Estrella came to the US as a teen exchange student constantly comparing and understanding cultural differences. For college, she returned to the US and pursued a career as a mechanical engineer. After a couple of years her career took her into insight discovery, which has been her passion ever since. She has lead P&G’s multicultural shopper marketing insights, foundations of word of mouth & influencing the influencers, and managed US and Global insights for the Tampax and Pringles brands. Now at Illumination she enjoys moderation, facilitation and analysis of qualitative and quantitative projects and leads their multicultural group and moderator training. She has a degree from Georgia Tech and an MBA from University of Cincinnati.
About this Community: Forum for marketers and marketing researchers to network and discuss innovation, marketing research trends, and methodologies. Meetings are held on the 4th Wednesday of the month.
Thanks to our partners: